Friday, August 3, 2007

Miles and Numbers



I’m starting to pack for the trip and really starting to get excited. Liberty has been really supportive and today I even borrowed a wireless card so that I can update the blog while I am in Florida. I did hear on the news today that the launch has been delayed a day. The official launch time is now set for Wednesday, August 8th. This actually works out okay. I got an email from NASA saying that our tour was still on for Monday and that the night viewing has been moved back to Tuesday. That works well. It was going to be a situation where we were at Kennedy Space Center from 7:30 in the morning until 5:00 at night and then had to be back at midnight. The one problem is that where we are staying is over an hour away. So now at least we will be able to get a little bit of sleep.

I had an idea for a post that I wanted to put on here that I thought would be pretty interesting. I was wondering the other day how many miles I had traveled this summer. The final total completely surprised me. The numbers are not exact. I used mapquest to get mileage totals so the flights will be a little less than the numbers I used and the actual driving miles will probably be more because I only counted the long drives, not the short ones. So here are the trips that I counted. First was to Florida and back for my honeymoon. (see picture below). The next trip was actually 9 mini trips to Warrensburg, Missouri for an elementary math academy. Next up was to Colorado Springs. From there we drove to Denver twice. When we got home from there, it was a trip to Springfield. Finally, I counted the flights to Orlando that I will be going on next week. The final total that I came up with was . . . 9,826 miles. Wow, I can’t believe that I have traveled almost 10,000 miles this summer.



While I was at it, I thought I would put a few more numbers up about this summer

Weddings – 1
Weeks in math academy – 3
Master’s Degree Credits Earned – 6
Hours in Class – 184
Math Problems Solved – Too Many to Count
Disney Characters Met – 42 (Yes, I actually made a list)
Autographs Gotten – Not as many as I would like (8 at a Sky Sox Game in Colorado Springs)
Highest Altitude - 14,110 ft – (not counting airplane flights, this was at Pikes Peak)


States Visited – 10 (Missouri, Kansas, South Carolina, Tennessee, Kentucky, North Carolina, Illinois, Iowa, and Colorado)
Pictures Taken – Lots (1600+ on my honeymoon, 800+ in Colorado, 1600+ taken by the photographer at the wedding, and I’m guessing a ton in Florida next week.)
Books Read – 4 (Deception Point by Dan Brown, Jimmy Carter’s Book, can’t remember the name right now, The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman, and Blogs of War that I am currently still reading)




No comments: