Friday, August 17, 2007

Leaving on a Jet Plane . . . Maybe

Here I am again, setting at an airport waiting for a flight. I’m starting to get a little worried. It is sounding like there is some weather in Dallas that is not favorable. I am flying through Dallas and from there on to Colorado Springs. I only have 40 minutes to catch my flight from Dallas so I am really hoping that my flight is on time, otherwise I might be stuck in Dallas tonight. I am flying to Colorado Springs for a training class tomorrow for the microgravity flight in October. I’m not sure what the training class will be like but it should be fun. I know that I am getting fitted for a flight suit. Hopefuly I will get to keep it but I’m not sure.

Class today went really fast. I love it when the day goes fast because that means we were really working hard and getting into what we were doing. Today we played another game. This time we worked on the four types of sentences. This seemed to be pretty hard for some of the kids. I don’t think the concept was too hard, I think the names of the types of sentences was difficult. (Interrogative, Declarative, Exclamatory, and Imperative) I am thinking that next week I will do another activity with this. I have done an activity in the past where the kids made comic strips using each of the four kinds of sentences. I think I will probably use that again next week.

We also studied arrays today. The kids picked this up really quickly. This was a really good thing because it is a building block to what we are doing next week and really the rest of the year. One of my concerns each year is students that are new to the district that have not had Everyday Math before. Some of the concepts that we cover are really higher level and many districts that don’t have this program do not cover them. I have been really happy. The kids new to the district have been picking up the math really well and haven’t seemed to be struggling.

We also went over more procedures today. I think I am actually close to getting my entire list crossed off. I’m really excited to start next week when we actually have a kind of normal schedule where we cover all of the subjects.

If you are reading this and did not get an email today with the link to the weekly newsletter in it, please email me so that I can add you to the mailing list. If grandparents, or friends, or others want to be added to the list, that is not a big deal, just let me know.

Flight Update: I’m still at the airport and my flights have been delayed. I’m still hoping to get to Colorado Springs sometime tonight. It is looking like I might have to fly into Denver and then drive an hour and a half to Colorado Springs. Keep your fingers crossed that I actually get to go.

No comments: