Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Class Participation

I wanted to talk a little today about class participation. Today was a rough day on that front in Room 42. We had to have a class discussion about my expectations for participating in class. I asked a question today and literally no one raised their hands. I understand that it was the first day back after a long weekend but wow. I really emphasized that I want participation and I don’t care if the answers are correct. As a matter of fact, the question I asked this morning had no right or wrong answer. I think this is something we will continue to work on the rest of the year.

On a different note, today we started one of my favorite projects of the year, the Room 42 reading blog. If you are reading this then you already understand how a blog works. We will be using a blog (very similar to this one) as our big reading project for the year. Next week when we really get into it I will explain more about it. Today the assignment was to write an introduction of yourself as a reader. This will be on the main reading blog page for the year and will be most peoples first introduction to the kids. Our reading blog has a map like the one on this page and we have had hits from all over the world. So the kids really do have a world-wide audience for their writing. Pretty cool stuff.

The other project we started today was the cartographers challenge. For this geography assignment the kids create their own country and design it based on a theme. I can’t wait to see what they come up with. I am hoping to take a few pictures and post them on here.

No comments: