Sunday, July 15, 2007

Mountain Roads and Giraffes

Wow, I actually posted two days in a row. Today was a really fun day. My wife and I took a scenic route to get from Denver to Colorado Springs. Little did I know that the road would end up going over a small mountain. Some of the roads were kind of scary but we made it. There was a museum that I had wanted to go to today that was closed. It was a mining museum. From what I have heard, you can actually see two tectonic plates where they come together. At least I will have something to look forward to the next time I am out this way.


While driving through the mountains today it was obvious that a HUGE forest fire had gone through the area. Acre after acre of trees were just gone. Nothing was left but burnt stumps. The really cool thing was that there was tons of green around the trees. Forest fires are a natural process that can help forests. Unfortuanately, these fires were because of people being careless. A lady at a roadside gift shop told us that there had been three separate fires, one in 1998, 2000, and 2002. The pictures here are from the fire in 2000. Just think about that, seven years and not much has grown up. Yes, there is grass but not much else. There were over 138,000 acres of land destroyed along with tons of homes.


After making it through the mountains, we went to the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. This is the highest zoo in the country and has the largest heard of giraffes. They had 18 adult giraffes and one baby that was born June 20th. The coolest part was getting to feed them. Their tongues are amazingly long and slimy. Tomorrow we start class in Garden of the Gods. I will be sure to post some pictures.

No comments: