Wednesday, July 25, 2007

3. . . 2. . . 1. . . Blast Off

Okay, I just got confirmation today on the big news I mentioned earlier. Today I was accepted by NASA to go to Florida next week as their guest for the upcoming space shuttle launch! I am SOOO excited. I got the itinerary today about what all we will be doing and it is going to be amazing. The shuttle is supposed to launch on the 7th of August. On the 6th we will be taking a big behind the scenes tour of the Kennedy Space Center Complex. We will actually have an astronaut as a tour guide. What an amazing opportunity. I will be going with a few teachers that I met in Colorado Springs. We take the tour on Monday, and then at midnight Monday night we go out for a night viewing of the shuttle. It will be all lit up and you will actually be able to see the orbiter without the gantry in front of it. Then the day of the launch we get to go to Banana Creek to watch the launch. I think this is the site where they have the big count down clock. It is only 3 miles away from the launch pad. That is the closest anyone gets to be to a launch. It is so close that we actually have to leave 15 minutes after the launch because the cloud of steam might blow towards us. There is so much to talk about but the battery on my computer is almost dead so I will end for now. I will try to give more information tomorrow. I plan on updating this often while I am gone so that you can follow along with me as I go to Florida.

Here is the link to the STS-118 Web Site.

This is also the shuttle that will carry the next teacher in space, Barbara Morgan.

No comments: